On March 29, Representative Ann Marie Buerkle (NY-25) introduced H.Con.Res 115, Recognizing the 64th anniversary of the Independence of the State of Israel with 67 co-sponsors. The resolution was referred to the House Committee on Foreign Affairs. As of April 20, the resolution now has 96 co-sponsors.
The resolution was submitted despite the House GOP leadership ban on commemorative resolution which not only precludes the House voting on such measures, but mandates the return of such resolutions to the sponsoring representative.
Tuesday April 24 will be the 64th anniversary of the State of Israel.
Representatives Bill Pascrell, Jr and Patrick J. Tiberi, co-chairs of the Italian American Congressional Delegation refused, in 2011, to introduce a concurrent resolution recognizing the 150th anniversary of Italian Unity. Representative Tiberi is a co-sponsor of H.Con.Res. 115.
In March, the Senate passed a resolution marking the 150th anniversary of Italian Unity introduced by Senator John Kerry.
Joseph N. Grano
- NIAF Mourns the Passing of Founding Member Pino Cicala
- Le perplessità sulla riforma della scuola italiana all’estero
- IV EDIZIONE DELL’ITALIAN FILM FESTIVAL DI VANCOUVER
- “Italia-Usa: cibo, lingua e cultura”: un progetto innovativo per promuovere la lingua italiana
- Ferrari S.p.A. Joins NIAF Efforts to Support Earthquake Victims in Italy