The Annual Columbus Day Ceremony, sponsored by the National Columbus Celebration Association (NCCA) in collaboration with the National Park Service (NPS), will be held on Monday, October 11 2011 at the Statue of Columbus in front of Union Station in Washington, DC. The ceremony will begin at 10:45 a.m. with a musical prelude by a United States Military Band.
The United States Joint Armed Forces Honor Guard and the Knights of Columbus Color Corps will open the program at 11:00 a.m.
Participants in the celebration include Diplomats from Italy, Spain, the Commonwealth of the Bahamas and the Organization of the American States.
The program highlights include the winner of the annual National Youth Essay Contest, co-sponsored by the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution and the National Italian American Foundation, with his or her essay regarding the great navigator and explorer Christopher Columbus to be read during the program.
The placing of wreaths at the Columbus Statue by Embassies and by various Fraternal, Civic, Military and Patriotic Societies will conclude the ceremony.
The event can be accessed via the Metrorail to Union Station.
- IV EDIZIONE DELL’ITALIAN FILM FESTIVAL DI VANCOUVER
- “Italia-Usa: cibo, lingua e cultura”: un progetto innovativo per promuovere la lingua italiana
- Ferrari S.p.A. Joins NIAF Efforts to Support Earthquake Victims in Italy
- Cinquantesimo Anniversario dell’Alluvione di Firenze. Protecting Cultural Heritage in an Uncertain Time
- Once Again, Italy Needs Our Help!